Convoy judges carrier quality based on three quality metrics; On-Time to Pick, Falloffs (Cancellations), and Driver App Use.
The last 50 shipments over 360 days are evaluated. If you enter a penalty stage, your ratings will be reset. We believe carriers should be rated on their most recent success, removing distant shipments that may not properly evaluate a carriers quality, as well as give carriers the ability to improve their quality scores after being given a penalty.
Quality Metrics Explanations
On-time is measured by whether you check in at the pickup location by the pickup time listed on the ratecon. When shipments arrive to pick on time, Convoy can schedule efficiently, reducing wait times, ensuring product is ready to go when you arrive. When you’re on time, you can get in and out of facilities quickly, spend more time on the road, and pull more loads.
These shipment numbers can be found by clicking into Past Jobs on the main menu, and selecting the scorecard metric, ON-TIME PICKUP.
Notes on On-time to Pickup:
- Carriers with great on-time scores win more bids with Convoy than lower performing carriers.
- Being on-time is one of the criteria (along with app use) that qualifies a shipment for hassle-free detention in the event the carrier is delayed at a pickup facility.
- Shipments that are on-time to pick are almost 40% more likely to be on-time to delivery than loads that are not.
- While on-time to pick is important, please be aware of facility rules listed on the ratecon on how early you can arrive at the facility. Many facilities allow you to check in early, while others will not allow check in prior to appointment time.
- Over 60% of carriers report issues on previous shipments is the biggest reason for them being late to the next shipment. Carriers with the highest on-time percentages plan larger buffers between shipments to allow for delays at previous drop, traffic, weather, etc.
- Use the Convoy app! When location services are turned on, we're able to monitor shipment progress and work with drivers to ensure on-time pick up.
CARRIER FALLOFFS OR CANCELLATIONS
Measures how often a carrier cancels a load that they have accepted.
These shipment numbers can be found by clicking into Past Jobs on the main menu, and selecting the scorecard metric, FALL OFFS.
Notes on Falloffs:
- If a shipper or Convoy cancels a load that you’ve accepted, that shipment will count positively on your scorecard, even though you didn’t pick the load up. Example: If you had 1 falloff in 5 loads, your falloff score would be 20%. If on your next shipment, the shipper or Convoy cancels the load, the shipment would count as a non-falloff shipment on your Scorecard, reducing your score to 16% from 20%.
- If you mistakenly accept a load, make sure you immediately cancel the acceptance. If there is more than 24 hours prior to the shipment and you cancel within 1 hour, the falloff will not be counted on your record.
- Falloffs caused by Convoy or Shipper issues are not counted against a carrier.
- If falling off a load due to a previous Convoy shipment, please communicate the shipment that caused the falloff.
Top preventable causes of a falloff:
1) Accidentally clicking to accept a load you don’t intend to take
2) Overbooking your trucks
3) Underestimating the time it will take a driver to get to the pickup/falloff location.
DRIVER APP USE
App use is a unique requirement of working with Convoy, and it is just as important as arriving on time and not falling off loads. Carriers using the app experience better service from our operational team. Through the app, we respond faster to problems on loads, reduce or eliminate ETA calls, and manage immediate detention payouts without additional paperwork.
The following actions must take place for a load to be deemed ‘app using’:
1) The correct driver is assigned to a shipment
Explanation: If a dispatcher secures loads, please change the ‘Driver’ to the individual that will be driving the shipment. The user assigned as the driver on a shipment will have their location services tracked.This allows Convoy to properly track the shipment.
2) Driver completion event: For each step of a shipment (pickup and stops), a completion event needs to be logged, either through an automatic trigger via GPS, or manually entering a completion. Additionally, a driver can request detention through the app for eligible shipments.
Explanation: Properly completed events allow us to monitor progress of shipments in real time, ensuring efficient deliveries. The information we glean from this can be used to adjust transit times, understand facility wait times, and properly compensate for detention.
3) Location services are turned on: The drivers phone has location services activated starting 3.5 hours prior to the scheduled pickup appointment time and turned on throughout the entirety of the load. Location services also need to be turned on for trailer pick up and drop offs.
Explanation: With location services turned on, Convoy is able to understand the progress to a pickup or stop. Without that information, Convoy is unable to provide updates to shippers, resulting in a large increase in the number of calls and texts a driver may receive asking for updates.
4) Uploaded Bill of Lading: A clear picture of all signed Bills of Lading (BOLs) is added via the Convoy app within 24 hours of load completion. If you use a factoring company for payment, you still must upload a BOL within the timeframe.
How to ensure a phone is connecting properly to the Convoy app:
1) Location services are enabled to ALWAYS ON
2) Location accuracy is set to "High" or "On"
3) Power save mode is OFF. If a phone has a white list, ensure that Convoy is listed
4) If a phone has an OEM/Carrier power saving mode, turn OFF or white list Convoy.
Benefits of using the Convoy app:
Hassle-Free Detention: The location services in the app allow us to clearly understand the length of time in the yard beyond your appointment time, easily allowing us to offer detention payments without the hassle of the normal back and forth.
Quickpay: Shipments that are ‘app using’ qualify for Quickpay, allowing you to get paid sooner, without the need to use factoring companies.
Hassle-free experience: With the app providing us automatic shipment updates, Convoy is able to understand where there may be delays and not. With that information, we’re able to cut down significantly on the amount we contact you via call and text.
To View Convoy driver app use standards here: https://youtu.be/BzZNTFKqH-0
Carrier Quality Performance Program:
Steps in our Quality Performance Program:
First Warning - The first time ratings fall below thresholds. To give you an opportunity to return to good standing, we reset your scores at this point. This is a great time to understand why you're falling below thresholds and utilize resources from Convoy to improve ratings.
Temporary Suspension - When your ratings again fall below thresholds after the initial warning. The suspension lasts for two weeks, however may be shortened to one week by going through utilizing our education materials and successfully passing a quiz within your first three attempts. After you return from suspension, your ratings will be reset, allowing you to start with a clean state. Note: For carriers with less than 10 shipments, there is no temporary suspension stage.
Do Not Use - When a carriers performance rating falls below thresholds after the suspension stage, the carrier will be added to the ‘Do Not Use’ list, permanently blocked from accepting loads with Convoy. An appeal may be filed after 3 months, which will be judged on business changes made that will lead to enhanced quality performance in Convoy’s network.
What is a good quality score? We do not expect perfection from our carriers and understand that issues arise, so scores need not be at 100% -- they only need to stay within a healthy score range. We acknowledge that there is a learning curve to our quality standards, therefore new carriers are held to a standard that reflects their length of history with Convoy. As Carriers continue to take more loads with Convoy, their performance standard also increases. We encourage you to check your scores regularly in the Convoy app under the "Past Jobs" tag or in weekly Scorecard emails.
If you see anything in your record you disagree with, email firstname.lastname@example.org with a specific shipment number.